* 12 tablespoons butter
* ½ cup brown sugar for the rich colour
* 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
* 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
* ½ teaspoon vanilla
1. In a medium sauce pan combine butter and sugar and stir over medium heat until melted. Stir in corn syrup and condensed milk.
2. Bring to a boil and then decrease to simmer 7-10 minutes or until mixture achieves deep golden color, stirring constantly. (watch carefully for coloring!). Now stir in the vanilla
3. Pour caramel into a grease proof lined 8×8 inch pan and allow to cool completely. (Cooling Is a minimum of 2 hours) try not cutting it when warm
4. When completely cooled, cut into squares and wrap in wax paper.
*makes about 20-30 caramels (depending on how large you cut them!)